Earlier this week, I had the pleasure of accompanying Laughing Buddha Yoga Studio to a cooperate health and wellness fair. While Dawn was healing with her Tibetan singing bowl I was reading tongues. Yup thats right, open up and say “Ahhhhh”.
At first people were not sure what to make of it. They were nervous and shy about letting me have a look at their tongues but after the reading they were amazed. 5000 years ago there was not sophisticated technologies to “see” disease. Both Ayurveda and Chinese medicine relay on tongue reading, pulse diagnosis, skin and nail health and detailed questioning to help discover where imbalance resides in the body. Tongue reading not only uncovers whats happening physically in the body but also reveals emotional imbalance and stress related weakness. You can tell a lot from the tongue and before I knew it people were bringing their friends back to the booth to have theirs read!
How can you increase your tongue health and in turn your internal health? One simple step is to begin tongue scrapping. Tongue scrapping is an important part of the Ayurvedic daily routine.
- A coating on the tongue
- Foul-smelling breath or body odor
- Mental fog or confusion
- Weak Appetite
- Constipation, Diarrhea or Bloating
- Chronic headaches
Why Scrape your tongue?
- Improve Digestion (kindle Agni).
- Reduced Cravings.
- Remove Bacteria.
- Liven Up Your Taste Buds.
- Remove Toxins (Ama).
- Freshen Your Breath.
- Speak More Sincerely and with Authority.
- Use the scraper 1st thing in the morning before you take any food.
- Apply a few quick strokes to your tongue from back to front.
- Use the rounded cleaning edge to scrape gently down the tongue several times, while applying slight pressure.
- Rinse under running water and gently scrape again until no white residue is left.
- There should be no pain or gagging involved whatsoever—if you feel any discomfort, you are probably scraping too hard or starting too far back on the tongue.
Give it a try and let me know how it goes. Any questions feel free to conact me.