What’s with oil pulling? Have you heard about it? It seems to be getting a lot of press these days, and I have been getting loads of questions about it. I have read some of the same articles and blogs that you have, and to be honest, although oil pulling is part of my daily morning routine I don’t agree with everything I have read.
What Is Oil Pulling?
Oil pulling is an Ayurvedic practice of detoxifying and maintaining oral health. The oil acts like a cleanser and pulls harmful bacteria, fungus, and other organism out of your teeth, gums and throat. The practice has been revitalized by the yoga and holistic health and wellness community and by Dr. Bruce Fife’s book Oil Pulling Therapy. Oil pulling is fast becoming a daily practice for many folks simply because it works.
Some Benefits of Oil Pulling
- whiten teeth
- strengthen gums
- prevent cavities and gingivitis
- remove plaque
- relieve bad breath
- prevent dryness of lips, mouth, and throat
- boost immune system
How to Oil Pull
- Oil pulling is best done first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Spoon a tablespoon of organic SESAME oil into your mouth and swish it around for 15 – 20 minutes before spitting it out. Many sites recommend using coconut oil. Although coconut oil has many amazing properties, according to Ayurveda it is not right for everyone and is not traditionally used for oil pulling. Sesame oil is a much better choice that is universally accepted for all three doshas.
- Never swallow the oil, it is full of toxins, and be sure to brush your teeth and rinse your mouth thoroughly afterwards. One blog I read claimed they replaced daily tooth brushing with oil pulling. Yikes. Please keep brushing your teeth.
- Spit your oil in the trash rather than the sink or toilet. The oil is not good for your plumbing.
There are a number of folks that claim oil pulling can help with weight loss, some chronic diseases and liver detox. I am not sure about those claims, but what I can attest to is that if you oil pull daily your teeth and gums will be looking and feeling great and your over all health will improve. Add it to your daily routine and see for yourself!
Have you tried oil pulling? I’d love to hear what you think of it.
Wishing You Vibrant Living!