These are amazing! Seriously they are really good, Rod even liked them. I have been experimenting with gluten free baking and trying a bunch of new recipes, a few have been real flops but so far these are my favorite. Also it was the first time I experimented with using chia seeds as an egg substitute, worked great! These brownies are full of protein, fiber, omega 3‘s, are vegan, gluten free. Healthy, easy and delicious – the best kind of dessert. Recipe adapted from Minimalist Baker
Gluten-Free Vegan Black Bean Brownies Recipe
- 1 15 oz. can of Black Beans well rinsed and drained
- 2 chia seed “eggs” (2.5 T chia seeds + 6 T water) you can also use flax meal
- 3 T coconut oil, melted
- 3/4 cup raw cocoa powder – high quality
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 T. of warm water to desired thickness
- Optional toppings: crush walnuts, pecans, shredded coconut or semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease a 12-slot standard size muffin pan. This recipe made ~ 8 brownies for me.
- Prepare chia egg by combining chia seeds and water in the bowl and let rest for a few minutes.
- Add all ingredients (besides walnuts or other toppings) to a food processor – I actually used my Vitamix – and puree – about 3 minutes – scraping down sides as needed. You want it pretty smooth. If the batter appears too thick, add a Tbsp or two of water and pulse again. It should be slightly less thick than chocolate frosting but nowhere close to runny.
- Evenly distribute the batter into the muffin tin and smooth the tops. Optional: Sprinkle with crushed walnuts, pecans, shredded coconut or chocolate chips.
- Bake ~ 25 minutes or until the tops are dry and the edges start to pull away from the sides.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan. They will be tender, so remove gently. The insides are meant to be very fudgy, so don’t be concerned if they seem too moist – that’s the point.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a few days. Refrigerate to keep longer.
Wishing You Vibrant Living