Fall has certainly arrived here in the Pacific Northwest and that means soups and stews are back on the menu. Lentils are a staple in our kitchen. They are loaded with protein, fiber and vitamins that boost energy, stabilize blood sugar and improve digestion. This simple soup is one of my favorite ways to enjoy lentils and I just rediscover beer bread! Enjoy!
Super Easy Curried Red Lentil Squash Soup with Beer Bread
Curried Red Lentil Squash Soup
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbls curry powder
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils
- 2 tbls ghee
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic,minced 1 tbls freshly grated ginger – I like more!
- 1 – 1 1/2 lb. butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut in
- 1/2-inch pieces
- 32 oz low sodium veggie broth
- Rinse lentils and set aside.
- Heat ghee in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add curry and salt and heat for about 1 minute.
- Add onion, garlic, and ginger and cook until translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add squash and cook until just beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add stock. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook until squash is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in lentils and cook until soft, 10 to 15 minutes.
Beer Bread – adapted from the Everyday Happy Herbivore
- 3 cups whole wheat four
- 2 tbls coconut palm sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbls baking powder
- 12 oz beer of choice
- Heat oven to 375 and grease a 9 inch bread pan and set aside.
- Whisk all dry ingredients together in a large bowl then carefully add the beer.
- Combine until just mixed well but not over mixing. You can use your hands to mix the dough.
- Transfer into the baking pan, spread evenly and bake for 40 – 45 mins.
Wishing You Vibrant Living