I have been without power for the past three days. It has been an interesting few days of hopping from coffee shop to coffee shop charging my devices and searching for free internet access. With everything spoiling in the fridge and with no means to cook up a healthy meal I was in search of quick healthy recipes that I could make up in my powerless kitchen. While coffee shop hopping I checked in with one of my favorite food blogs – Kris Carr – and found this awesome recipe. I whipped it up with ingredients I had on hand. This versatile little salad makes a perfect healthy lunch, incorporates all the six tastes in Ayurveda, is loaded with protein and tastes amazing.
Chickpea Avocado Salad
- 1 15oz can organic chick peas
- 1 clove of garlic – minced
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup red onion finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- Freshly squeezed lime juice ~ 1/2 of a lime
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 2 small avocados
- 1/4 cup cilantro – chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Roughly mash chickpeas in a large bowl, leaving about half of them whole.
- Stir in garlic, carrot, onion, olive oil, lime, tamari, cayenne, salt and pepper.
- Dice avocados and stir into mixture and add cilantro.
The original recipe has you stuff the avocado shell with the mix but I served it on a bed of spinach. Experiment and enjoy!
Wishing You Vibrant Living