Because I’m a pumpkin fanatic I love this time of year and I am always on the lookout for healthy and tasty pumpkin recipes. During past years I have compromised my commitment to eating gluten-free. Not this year! Since my cleanse I am determined to enjoy the holidays sans gluten. With that in mind I thought I would share two new gluten-free pumpkin recipes I tried recently.
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Energy Bites
adapted from 24Carrotlife.com
I made these a few weeks ago and loved them. We took them hiking and they made great between teaching snacks.
- 1 and 3/4 cups gluten free flour mix (I used Trader Joe’s Gluten Free Baking Mix)
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup grade b maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (choose vegan chips if you are vegan)
Whisk all dry ingredients in a large bowl and set aside. Mix all wet ingredients in a medium bowl until well combined. Add wet to dry and mix until just combined. Add chopped dark chocolate or chips and fold to mix. If the mixi is too sticky to handle, place in the fridge for one hour to firm up. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Scoop 2 tablespoons of batter and roll into a ball. Place on a greased baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes. Let cool for about 5-10 minutes before eating. Store in an airtight container for up to five days.
Pumpkin Coconut Pie
adapted from Kris Carr
This pie is really easy to make and is a perfect substitute for a more traditional pumpkin pie. I used a gluten-free ginger snap pie crust and it was the perfect compliment. The original recipe said to chill for several hours but I found in order for the pie to really firm up it needed to be chilled overnight before serving.
- 1 9 1/2-inch gluten-free baked pie shell or your favorite raw crust
- 1/4 cup toasted unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 cup raw cashew pieces, soaked for a few hours, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon coconut butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- ~ 1 inch piece of fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tablespoon grade b maple syrup
- Whipped coconut cream, for topping, optional
In a small bowl combine the toasted coconut and the crystallized ginger. Set aside. Put the cashews, pumpkin puree, coconut butter, water, non-dairy milk, ginger, syrup and spices in a high-speed blender and process until very smooth. Scrape about half of the cashew-pumpkin mixture into the pie crust and smooth. Sprinkle the toasted coconut and crystalized ginger over top and carefully add the remaining cashew-pumpkin mixture over top. Spread until even and smooth. Chill for 12-24 hours. Cut into slices and serve with whipped coconut cream. Enjoy!
Wishing You Vibrant Living