When I was a kid my mom made these amazing chocolate peanut butter bars. They were my favorite. I knew her recipe was not the healthiest so I went searching for an upgraded version. In my search I came across this great food blog http://www.thekitchn.com and found a super simple and healthier version of my moms recipe.
I love this recipe because the bars are made without refined sugar, require no baking, are gluten-free and are the perfect energy-boosting snack. You can enjoy them post workout, between yoga classes, on the trail or even for dessert. Because these delicious bars may seem like a candy bar, I recommend using the highest quality ingredients you can find. Choose organic and use dark chocolate chips with at least 70% cocoa. Enjoy!
4 Ingredient Energy Bars Recipe
Makes ~ 8 bars
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted organic peanuts (almonds work well too but soak and peel them first)
- 1 1/2 cups pitted dried dates (about 15 dates), preferably Medjool
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup roughly chopped dark chocolate or mini chocolate chips, divided
- Line an 8-inch x 8-inch baking pan with parchment paper; let the ends of the paper hang over the edge.
- Combine the nuts, pitted dates, and salt in your food processor.
- Pulse 1 minute to break up the ingredients. Remove the lid and break apart any clumps of dates. Replace the lid and process continuously for 1 – 2 minutes until the ingredients begin to clump together. The ingredients may still look a little crumbly, but should hold together when pressed.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the chocolate over the peanut-date mixture (reserve the rest of the chocolate). Replace the lid and pulse just 3 or 4 times to incorporate the chips.
- Transfer the mixture to the baking dish and press it firmly down by hand or use the bottom of a drinking cup.
- Melt the remaining chocolate and spread the melted chips over the bars into an even layer.
- Cover the bars and refrigerate for at least an hour or until the bars are firm and the chocolate is set. Keep refrigerated for firmer texture or unrefrigerated for a softer texture. Bars will keep for about a month refrigerated or for about a week if unrefrigerated.
I loved these! Let me know what you think.
Wishing You Vibrant Living